Julien Bigras was announced as 2022’s David Powell CFLA Member of the Year.
"Bigras has gone above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the asset-based finance and leasing industry’s future success."
During the closing banquet at the Canadian Finance and Leasing Association’s (CFLA) National Annual Conference on September 22, 2023, Mike Rusch of Jim Pattison Group and Chair of the CFLA’s Board of Directors presented 2022's David Powell CFLA Member of the Year Award to Julien Bigras, Managing Director of Core Capital Group Inc.
From left: Michael Rothe (CFLA), Julien Bigras (Core Capital Group Inc.), and Mike Rusch (Jim Pattison Group)
“The 2022 David Powell Member of the Year Recipient is not only an avid contributor to our industry and association, but someone who cares deeply about its future,” said Mike Rusch. “They’ll do whatever it takes to ensure our success for years to come.”
Bigras joined the CFLA’s Board of Directors in 2020 and became Chair of the CFLA’s Future Leaders’ Initiative in 2021. Since then, Julien has moulded the Future Leaders Initiative into a well-functioning committee that spotlights exemplary leaders in the industry. He also spearheaded a networking event at the CFLA’s Toronto office earlier this year to bring the industry’s future leaders together since the pandemic prevented them from meeting for so long.
Julien Bigras shares a few words after receiving his award.
"The David Powell CFLA Member of the Year Award recognizes members who work to advance the industry’s priorities, the CFLA’s goals, and go above and beyond the call of duty,” said Michael Rothe, CFLA President and CEO. “A few years ago, we renamed the member of the year award to include the CFLA’s former president and CEO’s name, David Powell.”
2020-21: CFLA Covid Response Committee
- Angela Armstrong, Prime Capital Group;
- Moe Danis, Juno Financial Group Corp;
- Jeff Hartley, LeasePlan Canada Ltd;
- Blake Macaskill, Ritchie Bros Financial Services;
- Richard McAuliffe, Key Equipment Finance Canada Ltd; and
- Tom Pundyk.
2019-20: Women in Asset Finance Committee
- Diane P.L. Brooks (Blaney McMurtry LLP)
- Angela Armstrong (Prime Capital Group Inc. & immediate past-chair)
- Suhuyini Abudulai (Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP)
- Gary Batchelor (CLE Capital Inc)
- Janice Boulet (CWB National Leasing Inc)
- Jeff Brubacher (Equifax Canada)
- Elaine Curwin (PNC Equipment Finance)
- Kirstin Elmer (Ritchie Bros. Financial Services Ltd.)
- Lucy Forte-Morelli (RBC Equipment Finance Group)
- Jeff Haig (TAO Asset Management Inc.)
- Carolyn Hansen (General Motors Financial of Canada Ltd.)
- Alane MacDonald (TD Equipment Finance Canada)
- Doug McKenzie (BAL Global Finance Canada Corporation)
- Lori Murtagh (SCI Lease Corp.)
- Marcelle Newstadt (Equilease Corporation)
- Elizabeth Sale (Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP)
- Nicole Taylor-Smith (Miller Thomson LLP)
- Badria Wolcott (Great American Insurance Company).
2018-19: Hugh Swandel (the Alta Group)**
2016-17: Industry Compensation Survey Steering Committee
Lucy Elcome (RCAP Leasing)
Clara McLaughlin (De Lage Landen Financial Services Canada Inc.)
Rick Yacknovets (Royal Bank Financial Group).
2015-16: Jennifer Babe (Miller Thomson LLP)
2014-15: PayNet, Inc. & William Phelan (PayNet, Inc.)
2013-14: Moe Danis (Pacific & Western Bank)
2012–13: Paul Zalesky (AllWest Insurance Services)
2011–12: Angela Armstrong (Prime Capital Consulting and Forest Leasing)***
2010–11: David Dalziel (Deloitte & Touche)
- Rishi Malkani (Deloitte & Touche)
- Loraine McIntosh (Deloitte & Touche)
2009–10: The Canadian Lease Education On-Demand (CLEO) Volunteer Instructors
- Angela Armstrong (Prime Capital Consulting and Forest Leasing)***
- Kevin Bowman (Equirex Leasing Corporation)
- Michael Burke (Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP)
- Jason Cooper (PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP)
- Murray Derraugh (The Alta Group)
- Michel Lévesque (Group Credit Lease)
- Stuart Sherman (Morrison Acceptance Corporation)
- Judy Smiley (Maxium Financial Services)
- Hugh Swandel (The Alta Group)**
- Michael Stewart (KPMG LLP)
- Steve Weisz (Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP)
- Robin Wilks (HUB International HKMB)
2008–09: Michael Collins (DealerTrack Technologies, Inc.)
2007–08: The CFLA Education & Program Committee
- Chairman: Richard McAuliffe (Key Equipment Finance Canada Ltd.)
- John Barraclough (Maxium Financial Services Inc.)
- Gary Batchelor (Travelers Financial Corporation)
- John Estey (Stonebridge Financial Corporation)
- Douglas McKenzie (BAL Global Finance Canada Corporation)
- Alan Morgan (RBC Equipment Finance Group)
2006–07: Ford Motor Company of Canada Ltd. and Ford Credit Canada Ltd.
2005–06: Hugh Swandel (Swandel & Associates)**
2004–05: Peter Freill (Securcor Group of Companies)
2003–04: Mark Robinson (DaimlerChrysler Financial Services Canada Inc.)
2002–03: Diane Sekula (CIT Financial) & Bob Westlake (GE Capital Canada)
2001–02: David Chaiton (Chaitons LLP)
- Tom Hopkirk (HKMB Capital Solutions)*
- Raja Singh (Pitney Bowes Global Credit Services)
2000–01: Brian Stevens (MFP Financial Services)
1996–97: Serge Mâsse (Crédit-Bail Findeq)
1995–96: Tom Simmons (Commcorp Financial Services)
1994–95: Greg Korsos (Sako Leasing Inc.)
1993–94: Tom Hopkirk (Barclays Bank of Canada, Leasing Division)*
*Tom Hopkirk was been named Member of the Year twice: in 1993-94 and 2001-02.
** Hugh Swandel has been named Member of the Year three times: in 2005-2006, 2009-2010 and 2018.
*** Angela Armstrong has been named Member of the Year twice: in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012.